A multi-purpose venue located in Brooklyn, New York City, the Barclays Center is the home of the National basketball Association’s Brooklyn Nets.
It’s the main feature of a $4.9 billion project for business and residential complex area known as Pacific Park.
After real estate businessman Bruce Ratner bought the Nets in 2004 for $300 million, plans were put into motion for the construction of the arena in the busy metropolitan district.
Ground was broken on the project on March 11, 2010 and would last over two years as the arena opened on September 21, 2012. A week later on the 28th of September, the arena held its first entertainment event, a Jay-Z concert.
• Capacity: 17,732
• Opened: September 21, 2012
• Location: 620 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11217
• The plans for construction had originally estimated completion by 2006, but due to conflicts with local residents and protestors objecting to its creation, the arena’s completion was delayed.
• One of the richest men in the world, Russian businessman Mihail Prokhorov paid $200 million to become the principal owner of the Nets and a large investor in the Barclays center arena.
• Prior to the Barclays Center being the home of the Nets, they played their home games in the Prudential Center located in Newark, New Jersey.
• In October of 2012, the National hockey League’s New York Islanders officially announced their move to the Barclays Center that wouldn’t take place until the 2015 season.
Past and Current Teams
Brooklyn Nets (NBA) (2012–present)
New York Islanders (NHL) (2015–present)
Long Island Nets (NBA D-League) (2016–17)