The Palace of Auburn Hills
Commonly referred to as The Palace, the Palace of Auburn Hills is a multi-purpose sports and entertainment arena located in Auburn Hills, Michigan and is the home of the National basketball Association’s Detroit Pistons.
Since opening in 1988, The Palace has been home to a number of sports teams besides the Pistons, including the WNBA’s Detroit Shock, the International Hockey League’s Detroit Vipers, and the Arena Football League’s Detroit Fury.
Prior to The Palace at Auburn Hills the Detroit Pistons played in Detroit’s Olympia Stadium and Cobo Arena from 1957 to 1978.
In 1978 the owner of the Pistons, Bill Davidson opted against sharing the new Joe Louis Arena with the Detroit Red Wings, and instead chose to play at the Pontiac Silverdome for a decade before moving into the current stadium.
• Capacity: 19,971
• Opened: August 13, 1988
• Location: 6 Championship Drive
Auburn Hills, Michigan 48326
• Construction for the arena was started on June 7, 1986 and lasted until the the stadium was completed two years later, with the official opening being on August 13, 1988.
• The year the stadium opened, 1988, was also the first season that the Pistons won the NBA Championship.
• The road that the arena is located on had its name changed to 6 Championship Drive as a result of the Detroit Shock’s three Championship titles in the WNBA.
• On August 13, 1988, Sting became the first musical artist to perform there during his Nothing Like the Sun Tour.
Past and Current Teams
Detroit Pistons (NBA) (1988–present)
Detroit Vipers (IHL) (1994–2001)
Detroit Safari (CISL) (1994–1997)
Detroit Whalers (OHL) (1995–1996)
Detroit Rockers (NPSL) (1997–2000)
Detroit Shock (WNBA) (1998–2009)
Detroit Fury (AFL) (2001–2004)